Koala (Year 4)
Useful links and ideas for home learning - March 2020
Welcome to Year 4 - Koala Class!
The class are taught by Mrs Adams on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings and by Mrs Lomax on Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays and Fridays. The class are supported by Mr Murray every day. We are also lucky to also have Mrs Bruckin supporting the class at different points through the year.
If you do have any concerns or queries at any point, please don’t hesitate to contact us, we are always happy to help!
Autumn Term Topics
English Leon and Bob / Varjak Paw
Science Sound / Animals Including Humans
PE In addition to our lessons with our PE Specialist teacher, Mr Dickinson, this term the class are receiving specialist cricket coaching.
Music The children will begin their violin lessons with Mrs Norris from Kent Music.
- Homework will be sent home on a Thursday to be returned to school the following Tuesday. The children should complete their work in their homework book.
- Homework will be either arithmetic practice or reading comprehension. All homework is discussed with the children before they take it home. However, if your child is unsure what to do, please encourage them to ask us for help before it is due in.
- Timetables are of vital importance and regular practice is key. Please continue to play TT Rock Stars and other times table games regularly at home. The children’s login details are inside their homework book.
- The children should all ideally be reading at least twice a week at home, more if they are not extremely confident readers. Both more and less confident readers should be discussing their reading with an adult to develop their comprehension and discussion skills and filling in their reading records with comments about what they are reading. The children are welcome to bring in a suitable reading book from home if they wish.
- Spellings rules and word lists to be practised will be sent home at the beginning of each term and the children are assessed throughout the term; there is no set 'spelling test day'. Please see the class website and your child’s homework book for more details.
- Arithmetic practice will be on a Monday.
- PE days are Monday (Mr Dickinson) and Thursday. Please ensure all kit is named and children have appropriate footwear. Trainers and jogging bottoms are acceptable for outside PE. Girls who choose to wear tights in colder weather should keep a pair of socks in their PE bag. Earrings must be removed during PE lessons.
- Please make sure your child has an apron for painting and DT. An old oversized shirt or t-shirt is perfect for this!
- Library day is Monday. If your child has any outstanding library books from last year, please make sure they are returned to school.
- If you are able to come in and listen to readers during any afternoons or help with any Forest School sessions, your help is always much appreciated. Thank you to the parents who have already offered their time!
- If the children have any used books, magazines or comics that could be donated as and when to our book corner, contributions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks for your ongoing support; we are confident that we are going to have a great year!
Spring Term Topics
English One Plastic Bag / Fox
Science States of Matter / Electricity
Geography Plastic Pollution / Mountains
PE In addition to our lessons with our PE Specialist teacher, Mr Dickinson, this term the class are developing their ball skills.
Music The children will continue their violin lessons with Mrs Norris from Kent Music.