Giraffe (Year 2)
Welcome to Year 2!
Giraffe Class are taught by Miss Kilvington. Mrs Corner will be teaching in Giraffe Class on Tuesday morning or afternoons.
We are using Class Dojo again this year to reinforce positive behaviour in and around school. As the children are now in Year 2, we are really promoting an independent attitude to learning. This year we encourage the children to take on more responsibility in the classroom and around school.
If you have any concerns or questions then please feel free to message me on Dojo or contact the Office - https://www.classdojo.com/
At the bottom of this page I have posted some useful websites to support with learning outside of school as well as the Year 2 spelling list.
General Giraffe notices -
* Homework will be sent home on Wednesday and returned the following Monday. All work needs to be completed in homework books. Homework will be Maths (arithmetic practise or consolidating learning done in class) as well as spellings. This will be discussed with the children before they take it home. If your child is a bit unsure then please feel free to message me on Dojo or bring the homework into school so we can work it through together.
* Reading at home is very important and should be completed daily. All children should try to discuss their school books with someone at home to improve their reading skills. Please make sure to record any reading in your child's reading record so we can track their progress and provide a set of new books once completed.
* PE with Mr Dickinson will be on Monday mornings and PE with Miss Kilvington will be on Thursday afternoons. Please ensure earrings are removed on these days unless your child can remove them independently in school. All PE kit must be named and appropriate for the weather conditions. An extra pair of socks may be useful on rainy days!
* Forest School sessions will be posted on Class Dojo.
Autumn Term 1
This term we will be reading 'How to Find Gold' by Viviane Schwarz. This is a lovely story of two friends on a journey to discover gold! Although they may run into some trouble along the way...
We will be writing a set of instructions, poetry, writing in role as the characters and at the end of the term we will be writing our own inspired narratives!
This term Giraffe Class will be learning some new concepts as well as recapping Year 1 concepts:
Place value - counting forwards/backwards to 20, 50 and 100, partitioning numbers in different ways, identifying, estimating and representing numbers, comparing and ordering numbers/objects, counting in 2's, 3's, 5's and 10's.
Addition/subtraction - number bonds to 10, number bonds to 20, number bonds to and within 100, related addition/subtraction facts, adding/subtracting in ones, finding 1 more and 1 less, 2 more and 2 less, 10 more and 10 less, adding by making 10, adding/subtracting 2-digit numbers and 1-digit numbers, adding/subtracting two, 2-digit numbers (without exchanging).
We will also be introducing Times Tables Rockstars! This is a website used from Year 2 to Year 6 as a way to practise times tables and division facts. Your child will be provided with an account that they can access at school/at home. In school we will be getting lots of practise as part of our computing time!
Science - Everyday materials and their properties
Topic - Geography: Map work
Computing: Computing systems and networks - information technology around us
Art: Famous artist - Claude Monet
RE: How should we care for others and the world and why does it matter?
PSHE: Being me in my world.
Here are some websites that may be useful for homework or for extra learning at home. I have also uploaded the Year 2 spelling list below -
* https://ttrockstars.com/ (times tables practice - see login details)
* https://play.numbots.com/#/account/school-login/16257 (number bonds, addition/subtraction facts - see login details)
* https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button (number bonds, times tables, division facts, halves/doubles)
* https://whiterosemaths.com/ (great free resources that we use across the school to plan Maths)
* https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ (good for e-books and online reading)
* http://www.pobble365.com/ (amazing for story writing or creative writing)
* https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html (good examples for writing)
* https://explorify.wellcome.ac.uk/activities (experiments/investigations you can do at home)
* https://www.stem.org.uk/ (experiments/investigations you can do at home)