Giraffe (Year 2)
Welcome to Year 2!
Giraffe Class are taught by Miss Kilvington and supported by Mrs James. Mrs Dove teaches in Giraffe Class on Tuesday mornings.
We are using Class Dojo again this year to reinforce positive behaviour in and around school. If you would like to get in contact with me you can message me on Dojo, however for anything that may require a meeting then please find me on the playground in the morning/after-school or contact the Office - https://www.classdojo.com/
As the children are now in Year 2, we are really promoting an independent attitude to learning. This year we encourage the children to take on more responsibility in the classroom and think for themselves more.
- We have grouped the children into guided reading groups that will read with myself or Mrs James at least once a week, however we aim for more than this.
- The children are now expected to give in their book bag when they come into school in the morning if all of their reading books have been read completely, so they are then able to change them during the day.
- We expect at least 10 mins of reading at home everyday and for this to be recorded inside the children's reading records. If this is not recorded, then reading books are not changed. When reading with your child, try to ask them questions about what they are reading i.e. how do you know ___ feels that way? what do you think will happen next? what does that word mean?
Each Wednesday the children will take home two pieces of homework (usually 1x Maths and 1x English/SPaG) in their homework books. This will be activities that we have done in class so the children should be able to complete this as independently as possible. Homework will be due back in the following Monday, unless stated otherwise.
PE will be on Monday (Mr Dickinson will teach this lesson) and Wednesday each week. If your child wears earrings, please can these be taken out before school. Your child needs to have weather appropriate clothing in their PE kit, especially in the colder months.
Forest school dates: 24th September, 15th October, 19th November & 11th December.
Speaking and Listening - Shoeboxes
Every Friday, six children will take home a shoebox. This is part of our learning around speaking and listening, as we have highlighted that this is something the children need to improve this year. Children will fill the shoebox with something of interest to them that they wish to share with the class. We will then take part in small group discussions about what is inside the shoeboxes, with each child taking on a role in the discussion and building upon their speaking and listening skills. Instructions on how to fill the shoebox are on the inside of the lid, and should be returned to school by the following Monday.
English - 'How to Find Gold' by Viviane Schwarz.
* This story is about a young girl called Anna and her friend Crocodile and their quest to find gold buried at the bottom of the ocean. This story is interesting and unusual as it is told through a conversation between the pair! They know that they will encounter sea monsters, great storms and a long dive to the bottom of the sea.
* To explore this text we will be completing: Poem writing, character descriptions, letter writing, writing in role as a character, narrative writing and story-mapping, debates, role-play/drama.
* Every Monday we will also be writing our weekend news. This is a useful way for the children to put into practice what they have learnt in SPaG (spelling, punctuation and grammar) and edit their work with more independence .
SPaG - Adjectives/Verbs/Nouns/Adverbs, exclamation/question marks, capital letters/full stops, types of sentences, noun phrases, subordination/co-ordination (but, and etc), tenses
* Place value (counting up to and over 100, partitioning numbers into tens and ones, counting in 2/5/10s, representing numbers in different ways i.e. number lines, 100 squares, number bonds to 10/20/100, related number facts)
* Addition/Subtraction (adding/subtracting in tens, add/subtract a 1 and 2 digit number, add/subtract two 2 digit numbers, adding three 1 digit numbers, finding the inverse, addition/subtraction problems)
Science - Everyday uses of materials
RE - How should we care for others in the world and why does this matter?
PSHE - Health and wellbeing
Art - Artist: Monet
Computing - Online safety